Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Middle East Madness

If there's one thing in this world that I feel very strong about, it's WOMEN'S RIGHTS and FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

Did you know that most woman in Saudi Arabia are not allowed to
1. Drive
2. travel alone
3. vote

They must
1. Have a male guardian
2. Cover all parts of their body except for eyes and hands

A young Saudi women was murdered by her father for using Facebook.



One of my favourite author's, Jean Sasson, writes mainly about women in the Middle East. Here are some of the books I have devoured:
The Rape of Kuwait
Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia
Daughters of Arabia
Princess Sultana's Circle
For the love of my son
Ester's Child
Desert Royal
Mayada: Daughter of Iraq
Love in a Torn Land: Joanna of Kurdistan
Growing Up Bin Laden

I know I am a Westerner and will probably never understand why these Islam customs are still in use and why most Saudi women prefer things the way they are. Found the following blog to follow and to help me try and understand the culture. http://saudiwoman.wordpress.com/


P.S. Today's breaking Saudi news: BlackBerry messenger services have been banned in Saudi Arabia in fear of "security and crime issues". They may also suspend the BlackBerry email services as of October 2010.

Proudly South African!

3 comments:

  1. omf - my cousin had to live over there while her husband's work had him in the country for 3 years or something. she had to always have male guards take her and the 3 daughters around, they wore the cover-ups and the whole nine. it was quite a bunch of amazing stories. your post brought it all back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post!
    This topic really amazes me and Saudi is not the only country, only the worst one!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt sorry for these women that are given limited rights. I am glad in my country women are given equal rights with men. We had proven the equality of rights to the world by electing two commanders in chiefs. We had two women who accepted the challenge to occupy the highest post of the land, no less that the President of the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete