We meet new people on a daily basis. Some make no impression at all and some make you think twice about who you are and what you have achieved in life.Last weekend I had the pleasure of meeting Nathan Hoturoa Gray, a very inspirational young man hailing from New Zealand. Nathan wanted to be one of the first Westerners in history to walk and document the entire length of the Great Wall...and he did it! First Pass Under Heaven, Nathan's account of his epic journey, has sold over 10,000 copies. His book is Penguin's top travel book for 2007/2008.
He made me think that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. If you can dream, you can do. He agreed to answer a few questions via Facebook. (Excuse any mistakes from my side. I am no reporter!)
Facebook Interview:
1. Tell me about yourself in less than 20 words.
Open minded, kind hearted, determined, strong and free. I enjoy people immensely and my own private time too.
2. You were in South Africa in 1993. Why?
I was on a Rotary Student Exchange for the year reopening the programme between NZ and South Africa which had been closed for over a decade. It was amazing to be a part of such a significant stage in South Africa's history during the build up to her first free democratic elections. I count myself very lucky also to have been sent to Swellendam. The people there were very kind and generous.
3. Favourite destinations?
Alaska, Syria, China, Saipan, Philippines, New Zealand and South Africa. (Every place has somewhere special that makes it unique unto itself and an unforgettable experience but the places where I spent the most time are generally the places I had the most memorable and profoundly connected experiences.)
4. What made you walk the Great Wall? Will you do it again?
We were trying to be the first westerners to walk and document the length of the great wall - but once I got over that ego trip - it was simply just a humble honour to become witness to one of the most amazing architectural constructions of all time. (It took over 2000 years to build.)
5. You can speak a bit of Afrikaans. Please say something in Afrikaans....
Ek dink dit is lekker om weer die geleentheid in Afrikaans te praat. Dit is 'n baie goeie taal waar jy kan vir jou emosies and gevoelens maklik uitfal, (veral die fluk woorde) en dit help vir my beter om die Afrikanse mense te verstaan - veral die maniere dat hulle dink. Die taal het vir my baie deure (doors?) opgemaak wanneer ek 'n uitruil student was, en dit aangaan in 2010.
6. Any advise on how to achieve success in life?
I think being humble is the absolute key to being successful in life. It makes you appreciate the challenges that life presents you with - and the means to overcome them that become available on the way. If you are humble you learn a lot quicker the lessons that are needed to graduate you onto the next stage in your life journey, and also gives you the strength and self respect to keep on going if need be. Drawing inspiration from others is also vital to keep going - but there are also going to be times when you need the courage to go at it alone - so mental strength and focus is also important.
Nathan's book is available on http://www.kalahari.net/ and you can also read more on his website: http://www.greatwalldvd.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment