Monday, January 31, 2011

15 days in 1979...

Found another "gem" amongst Gran's recipes. This one is really sad though...

My godfather(and uncle) worked for the National Parks Board(SANparks) and below is an invoice made out to him on 15/11/1979. I cannot make out what it was for, but the amount was R8.80.

15 days later on 30/11/1979 he died in a car accident in the Kalahari Gemsbok National Park(now called the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park)

I was 3 years old at the time and can't remember him all that well, but I still remember how sad my gran was. Until her death in 1999, she mourned his death. Wonder why she kept it between her recipes...

2 comments:

  1. It seems like it is saying a side (so perhaps the rump) of Buffalo meat. Wow! Imagine being able to buy a side of meat for under 10 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crumbs, what a find. Sorry about your gran and gramps but rad that you have these things. Apparently a steak at a restaurant was R5 in the seventies!

    ReplyDelete