... I bought a cow.
Here's the story:
When I met the farmer in 2008 and came to visit on the farm for the first time, I "met" a calf who then only had a number. Number 754. Meaning the 54th calf born in 2007. She was the only one who actually came forward and allowed me to pet her. On my next visit, she was still in the camp next to the house and again, came to me when she saw me. Immediately she had to get a name. She was called Sussa.
As Sussa grew older, the farmer couldn't understand why Sussa has not yet had a calf herself. So a few weeks ago, he examined her and found out that she was a "queen". In English, that means that she has under-developed genitalia, and will never be able to have babies or become a milk cow. (A milk cow must have a calf before they can give milk in a dairy)
Long story short, the farmer decided to sell her, as she is only costing him money. This morning he phoned and asked if he could load her on the truck. (Selling a cow = sending them to the slaughter house) Won't go into what was said in the conversation, but when I walked to the camp at the dairy, Sussa was still there and came running when I called her name.
The farmer did not sell her(tears DO help sometimes!) and I immediately decided to buy her in case he tries to pull a stunt like this again. I am now the proud owner of one queen cow!
| With Sussa |

oh yay!!! soooo cute and pretty to :) and I would have done the same - the tears and the buying!
ReplyDeletewell done Heidi! :)
what a great story!
ReplyDeleteenjoy your cow ;)
Awesome story Heidi! So heart-warming.
ReplyDeleteOh wow! You are officially my hero!!! Big love from one animal loving farm girl to another!
ReplyDeleteAaah I'm almost shedding a tear! Such a lovely story... Jy is sommer bakgat!
ReplyDeleteSussa is one lucky queen! You're a star Heidi :)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, that is so awesome!! Glad Sussa got to live out a happy life with ya! x
ReplyDeleteah lovely! love Sussa, wish I had a cow too! xx
ReplyDelete